Administrative Assistant Director of McNair Program
Waco, TX, United States
Job Identification: 12283
Posting Date: 12/13/2021, 3:21 PM
Job Schedule: Full time
Locations: Waco, TX, United States
Degree Level: Master
What We Are Looking For
Baylor University is seeking an Assistant Director of McNair Program to provide operational leadership and support assistance to program scholars. The purpose of the McNair Program is to prepare eligible participants for doctoral studies through involvement in research and other scholarly activities. Eligible scholars are from disadvantaged backgrounds and who have demonstrated strong academic potential. The person selected for this position must have a passion for serving a diverse, college age population.
A Master’s Degree, three years relevant work experience, and a Christian faith are required. Degrees in education, student affairs, or psychology/counseling are preferred. Additionally, the successful candidate will have the following:
- Minimum of one year program planning/academic advising experience
- Knowledge of higher education practices and climate, or able to learn
- Minimum 3 years’ experience serving diverse (low-income/first-gen/minority) populations
What You Will Do
The AD coordinates and supervises all individualized services and project events designed to provide graduate/professional school preparation and individual assistance to participants and assists the Director in implementing designated areas of program administration, including:
- Leading recruitment efforts; student outreach, info sessions/meetings, social media, etc.
- Assist Director to identify and select eligible scholars
- Coordinate initial needs assessments; provide academic advising and support, academic counseling; arrange tutoring & referrals; assist scholars with personal statement and CVs
- Meeting regularly with scholars to assess their standing in the program.
- Assist with data collections and research including annual performance report.
- Assist in administering STL McNair courses and summer research internship
- Facilitate year-round professional development activities for scholars
- Assists scholars with on and off-campus research or internships & graduate admission
- Supervise McNair graduate student assistants and student ambassadors.
- Assist with budget development and review and maintain program and student records.
- Coordinate all purchases and travel arrangements for the program.
- Schedule & coordinate graduate school visits, conferences and cultural events
- Plans major events (National conference, speakers, grad. panel, signature events, etc.)
What You Can Expect
As part of the Baylor family, eligible employees receive a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, generous time off, tuition remission, and outstanding automatic retirement contributions. Baylor has a comprehensive benefits plan that supports you and your family’s wellbeing and allows you to be a part of the life of a vibrant and active college campus. To learn more, go to Baylor Benefits & Advantages.
Explore & Engage
Baylor University is a private not-for-profit university affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, Baylor is committed to compliance with all applicable anti-discrimination laws, including those regarding age, race, color, sex, national origin, military service, genetic information, and disability. As a religious educational institution, Baylor is lawfully permitted to consider an applicant’s religion as a selection criterion. Baylor encourages women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities to apply.