Faculty Assistant Professor of African-American Theater and Performance
Assistant Professor, Brandeis Department of Theater Arts
African-American Theater and Performance
The Theater Arts Department at Brandeis University invites applications for a tenure-track position in African-American Theater and Performance at the rank of Assistant Professor. This position will start the Fall 2019. We seek a candidate who will contribute core offerings in their primary expertise in African-American Theater and Performance. The successful applicant will excel at fostering a critical dialogue about the past, present and future of American theater. Candidates interested in exploring issues of race, performance, and power are highly desired. A successful candidate will also have a secondary or co-emphasis in one or more of the following areas: Playwriting, Non-Western Theater History and Practice, Civic Engagement Practices, Performance Studies, Devised or Documentary Theater and/or Movement.
Because diversity, equity, and inclusion are at the core of Brandeis’ history and mission, we value and are seeking candidates who represent a variety of social identities, including those underrepresented in higher education, who possess skills that spark innovation, and who, through their scholarly pursuits, teaching, and/or service experiences, bring expertise in building, engaging and sustaining a pluralistic, just, and unified campus community.
The successful applicant will join a student-oriented department that emphasizes collaboration and the connections between practice and theory in a liberal arts setting. Responsibilities will include teaching and advising. This new hire is welcome to join the season selection committee and collaborate with the department in the development of new programming.
PhD. preferred; however candidates with an MFA degree are welcome to apply.
Candidates with some background in an aspect of the professional theater are of interest. .
Application Materials and Deadlines:
Applicants will submit:
- A cover letter that shows interest in the position and relates experiences to the qualifications.
- A Curriculum Vitae and Professional Resume
- A chapter sample of Scholarly Research and Publications and/or example of Artistic Work.
- A list of three references and contact information (phone numbers and e-mail addresses). Candidates will be notified before references are contacted.
- A statement of teaching philosophy and teaching interests. Please include a section about your practice as educator as it relates to the to the mission of to diversity and inclusion at Brandeis University. For more information: https://www.brandeis.edu/diversity/what-we-believe.html
For fullest consideration, candidates will submit applications by November 1, though applications will be accepted until the position is filled or the search is closed. Please apply to Search Committee Chair via https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/11869. The term of employment will begin July 1, 2019.