Administrative Director of the Office of Health Professions Advising and Academic Dean for Trinity College of Arts & Sciences
Duke University, Trinity College
Director of the Office of Health Professions Advising and
Academic Dean for Trinity College of Arts & Sciences
Applications should include a CV and names of three references who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional experiences.
Candidates need to submit applications to requisition 401565083 on the Duke HR website: https://forms.hr.duke.edu/careers/external.php?reqid=110717BR
Applications should be submitted by April 5, 2019. The position will begin August 1, 2019.
- Serving as chief health professions advisor for undergraduates in Trinity College of Arts and Sciences and the Pratt School of Engineering, involving advising, in person and by email and other electronic means (Skype, etc.) students and alumni interested in the health professions, including, but not limited to long-range planning, course selection, academic progress or difficulties, MCAT/DAT timing and preparation, and post-graduate academic and career exploration.
- Coordinating, overseeing, and mentoring a team of health professions advisors who work with the Director to advise undergraduates and alumni interested in the health professions.
- Coordinating and overseeing a team of health professions advisors to mentor applicants through Review My Application meetings and to write evaluative committee letters for medical and dental schools.
- Working with the health professions advisors to develop appropriate programming throughout the year on subjects including, but not limited to: first year prehealth orientation, parents’ weekend presentations, readiness to apply workshops, interviewing workshops, including the MMI, summer and gap year opportunities, inviting allied health programs to campus, MCAT prep, AMCAS information, etc.
- Collecting, analyzing and disseminating appropriate data, maintaining significant web-based information resources, and representing Duke in regional and national health professions organizations.
- The Director will also serve as an academic dean of Trinity College of Arts and Sciences, be an integral member of the College Deans Staff, and serve on College and University committees as requested by the Dean of Academic Affairs.
- Ph.D., M.D. or equivalent experience.
- 5 years of experience in academic administration or a related setting.
- 5 years of experience in pre-health advising.
- Familiarity with academic policies, programs and regulations necessary to coordinate related services and activities, or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience.
- Demonstrated expertise in program development, teaching, mentoring and research.
- Experience working with a diverse population of undergraduate students
- Successful track record of establishing credibility and trust.
- Fluency with desktop applications including databases, word processing, presentation, and cloud-based computing.