Administrative Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University currently seeks a Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer (CDIO) who is courageous, collaborative, strategic and inspiring leader with a track record of building programs and partnerships in addressing intersecting dimensions of diversity. The CDIO leads the development and implementation of proactive diversity and inclusion (D&I) initiatives in support of Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University’s (ERAU’s) goal to create a learning and working environment where all have an opportunity to succeed. Specifically, the CDIO will:
- Champion the importance and value of a diverse and inclusive ERAU environment and lead the development of a vision and effective strategy to support it
- Promote a culture of inclusion where all individuals are welcome, able to thrive and be fully engaged in the life of ERAU
- Collaborate with ERAU units to develop strategies to recruit and retain a diverse workforce
- Actively engage students, faculty, and staff to further behaviors, attitudes, and policies that support all aspects of D&I
- Partner with ERAU stakeholders to develop and implement training initiatives on cultural competency, gender differences, disability, and other topics designed to increase awareness, understanding and support of D&I values
The CDIO reports to the VP & Chief Human Resources Officer, serves as Senior Advisor to the President, chairs the Council of Collegiate Diversity and Inclusion Coordinators and supports the Core Leadership Team on matters of D&I across the three campuses. Administrative units and committees reporting to the CDIO include: The Office of Diversity and Inclusion (Daytona Beach), the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Steering Committee (Daytona Beach) and through a dotted line reporting structure, The Women’s and Diversity Center (Prescott).
Duties and Responsibilities
Collaborates with ERAU departments to develop hiring and retention efforts to attract and retain a highly talented, diverse workforce. Identifies emerging staff leadership talent and provide them with the training and experiences to realize their talent to grow into leadership positions at ERAU. Proposes, develops and deploys initiatives that broaden the university’s outreach to diverse, qualified candidates.
- Provides direction for training initiatives on cultural competency, gender differences, disability, building a climate of equity and inclusion, and other topics designed to increase awareness and support of D&I values.
- Collaborates with ERAU leadership, the Council of Collegiate Diversity and Inclusion Coordinators, faculty, students, staff, and internal and external constituencies to create and implement programs designed to ensure fair and equitable treatment of students, faculty and staff.
- Manages the ERAU’s Workforce Analysis and oversees compliance with Affirmative Action, including Affirmative Action for Protected Veterans, Equal Employment Opportunity and other applicable regulations.
- Gathers, researches and analyzes data for use in statistical calculations and reporting in order to meet federal and state requirements.
- Regularly conducts annual Climate Survey, analyzes results, makes recommendations for action.
- Proposes and/or develops programming related to diversity and inclusion, including employee developmental programs in areas such as cultural competencies and cultivating and retaining future leaders from diverse backgrounds.
- Develop and oversee successful implementation of strategic plans for The Office of Diversity and Inclusion (Daytona Beach) and The Women’s and Diversity Center (Prescott).
- Facilitates group discussions and town hall meetings in response to campus, national and global events related to diversity and inclusion.
- Establishes effective modes of communication about ongoing diversity and inclusion at ERAU and produce an annual report on D&I initiatives/results.
- Creates and implements communications strategies and content management for training, web resources, social media and print materials to support D&I initiatives and promotes ERAU’s commitment to a climate of D&I.
- Serves as ERAU’s spokesperson on matters related to diversity and inclusion.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree required; terminal degree preferred.
Minimum Years and Type of Relevant Work Experience
- More than 8 years of relevant work experience within higher education setting required, with increasing responsibility and demonstrated leadership experience.
- Proven ability to successfully develop, implement, and evaluate institutional diversity, equity, and inclusion programs within an academic environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and oral/written communication skills required, with an open communication style that fosters trust, credibility, and understanding.
- Ability to navigate complex academic environment with multiple campuses, building bridges and strong collaborative relationships with a range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Supervisory experience and demonstrated ability to interact and influence at all levels of an organization and to work collaboratively across functions and departments toward shared objectives.
- Grant writing experience preferred.
For more information about our institution and to apply for this exciting position, please visit our careers site – https://careers.erau.edu/ and reference position # 200255