Professional Content Specialist
The Morehead-Cain Foundation, home of the first merit scholarship program in the United States, seeks a creative professional to craft and curate content for all of the Foundation’s communications channels.
The Morehead-Cain is a four-year merit scholarship for students of the highest caliber to attend the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, providing full funding for academic study and four distinctive summer opportunities in outdoor leadership, civic collaboration, global perspective, and professional experience. The more than 270 current Morehead-Cain Scholars enrich UNC’s vibrant campus community as leaders and innovators, and they join a network of more than 3,000 exceptional and connected alumni. For more information, please visit www.moreheadcain.org.
The content specialist is a creative, organized, and energetic team member who is vital to the success of the Morehead-Cain Foundation. As the content specialist, you will work closely with staff, scholars, and alumni to discover, create, and curate content for the Foundation’s website, scholar and alumni network, and social media channels. You will also help create publications and marketing pieces, and assist with photography and videography at Foundation events.
Skills you’ll need
The content specialist has many of the same characteristics we seek in our scholars: an innate curiosity about the world; a lifelong love of learning; and exemplary character composed of integrity, empathy, and optimism. In addition you will need:
- Superior communication skills, both written and oral (clarity, brevity, authenticity, spelling, grammar)
- Personal authenticity, dignity, and an ability to build sincere relationships with scholars, fellow staff members, and all Foundation constituents
- Flexibility, creativity, intelligence, dependability
- A knack for storytelling and proven editorial skills
- An enthusiasm for working with a collaborative, engaged team
- Sharp attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
- An appreciation and respect for the Foundation’s history, mission, values, and brand; an appreciation for and understanding of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Charm, charisma, and a cheerful disposition
- Self-starter, motivated, high-achiever
- A great sense of humor
- Create and curate content for the Foundation’s online presence across all appropriate digital channels.
- Identify and draft content to be approved by the director of communications and posted to the Foundation’s website and to its Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube accounts.
- Write and produce content for all online spaces, including blog entries, short videos, photos, tweets, Facebook posts, etc.
- Collaborate with staff to develop interesting stories that highlight Morehead-Cains’ impact around the world.
- Produce and host the Foundation’s podcast, Catalyze; develop seasonal themes, brainstorm potential guests, schedule and conduct interviews, and edit episodes.
- Draft alumni update emails with links about alumni accomplishments and news to be sent to all alumni and other constituent groups.
Communications and Brand Strategy
- Support the development and implementation of an annual communications/marketing plan that tells the Morehead-Cain story to all key constituencies, including staff, trustees, scholars, alumni, donors, schools, prospective scholars, parents, volunteers, and key UNC constituencies.
- Assist with the production and mailing of publications and other collateral, including writing articles; editing articles submitted by others; selecting, taking, or commissioning photographs; and maintaining relationships with graphic designers, printing companies, and mail service personnel.
- Produce content for the annual Year in Review/Donor Supplement publication.
- Conduct interviews and write profiles of alumni, scholars, and other members of the Morehead-Cain community as needed.
- With the director of communications, serve as the Foundation’s brand champion and brand guardian.
Database Administration and Data Management
- Assist as needed with management of the MC Network (MCN) and website.
- Perform administrator tasks such as managing email lists and bulk imports and exports.
- Meet with Foundation departments to help update MCN pages and navigation.
- Assist with the management of the Foundation’s two databases (e.g., help with update campaigns, data roundtripping, data entry, bounced email lists, coding of constituents, etc.).
And Everything Else
We are a distinctly collaborative organization where every team member wears many hats. You will collaborate with the Advising team in the creation of materials for current scholars, support the Scholar Selection team to select and recruit each new class of scholars, support Foundation events throughout the year, and much more.
Education and Experience
- Four-year degree required; communications, journalism, or digital media majors preferred.
- Proven editorial and copywriting ability.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office required. Experience with WordPress, Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, or similar), email design tools (MailChimp, Emma, iContact, etc.), HTML, video and audio editing tools, and new media platforms preferred.
Salary commensurate with experience
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, and samples of your work to email@example.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, disability, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by law.