Administrative Vice Provost – Strategic Initiatives and Chief of Staff
Vice Provost – Strategic Initiatives and Chief of Staff
Posting Number: PG191849EP
Internal Recruitment: No
Working Title: Vice Provost – Strategic Initiatives and Chief of Staff
Anticipated Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8 am-5 pm; or as required
Job Location: Raleigh, NC
Department: EMAS-Enrollment Management & Services
About the Department
The Division of Enrollment Management and Services (EMAS) is dedicated to successfully recruiting, retaining, supporting and graduating students as efficiently and effectively as possible in alignment with the goals set forth by the university’s strategic plan. EMAS seeks to attract and enroll a highly diverse class of new and continuing students with outstanding ability and potential to address challenges and opportunities presented by a rapidly changing society.
The mission of the division is to provide critical services to students, parents and visitors to NC State University throughout the student lifecycle, from identifying prospective students through graduation and beyond. EMAS offices and units are at the intersection of vital academic services that can positively impact student outcomes, reduce time to degree, promote awareness of NC State’s brand beyond North Carolina, and improve institutional effectiveness. EMAS utilizes a collaborative and integrated approach to student success, pursuing organizational excellence, and creating strategic partnerships to engage our community both locally and globally.
EMAS is comprised of undergraduate admissions, scholarships and financial aid, registration and records, enrollment systems and operations, communications, marketing, and outreach, Community College Collaboration (C3), Goodnight Scholars Program, summer sessions, parents and families services, E. Carroll Joyner Visitor and Transfer Center, Student Services Center and pre-college programs. The division has more than 100 full-time employees supporting all aspects of enrollment, including more than 100 student University Ambassadors helping to fulfill the mission of EMAS.
EMAS has an annual budget of $7.3 million, with responsibility for committing and disbursing in excess of $300 million in need- and merit-based financial aid.
Essential Job Duties
The Vice Provost reports directly to the Senior Vice Provost for Enrollment Management and Services and is responsible for the following:
The Vice Provost and Chief of Staff serves as part of the Enrollment Management leadership team. Acts for the Senior Vice Provost for Enrollment Management and Services in their absence, and is a confidential management position providing counsel and principal management support, leading and coordinating a variety of daily matters with Enrollment Management (EM), between EM and the colleges/divisions, leaders, universities partners and external constituents.
The Vice Provost and Chief of Staff advises the SVP and campus leadership in developing enrollment management and campus wide initiatives to achieve the university’s strategic vision for recruiting, enrolling, supporting and retaining a talented, diverse student body. Direct responsibility for advancing divisional efforts related to marketing and communications, recruitment and retention, which have a broad campus impact. Provides analytical support and leadership on a variety of projects for the SVP, many of which contain a high degree of confidentiality and privileged information requiring tact, sensitivity, independent judgment, diplomacy, discretion, and flexibility.
- Oversees divisional marketing and communications as well as the Parents and Families Services program.
- Creating and implementing innovative student success initiatives to address the varying needs of a diverse student body.
- Collaborating and fostering relationships with colleges and internal partners such as the Office of Information Technology, Office of Finance and Administration, Distance Education and Learning Technology Applications, Division of Academic and Student Affairs, Institutional Strategy and Analysis, Office for Institutional Equity and Diversity, Office for Global Engagement and other campus units.
- Working with numerous constituents and stakeholders throughout the campus, the VP and Chief of Staff is responsible for ensuring that EMAS programs, services, and resources are effectively managed and complement the academic mission of the campus.
- On behalf of the SVP, serves as the primary and central contact point and liaison with NC State leadership, campus leadership, media relations, and external constituents.
Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience
- Requires a relevant Master’s degree with a minimum of five (5) years of related professional experience in higher education or equivalent professional training and experience.
Other Required Qualifications
- The successful candidate will possess most, if not all, of the following qualities or experience:
- Leadership experience in and expert knowledge of at least one area of Enrollment Management (Admissions, Registrar, or Financial Aid).
- Demonstrated leadership in marketing and communications efforts for enrollment management that addresses recruitment, retention, and graduation of students from the university.
- Demonstrated leadership and the ability to influence outcomes through collaboration and partnership.
- Demonstrated use of political acumen to navigate sensitive circumstances involving all organizational levels and confidential information.
- Demonstrated experience with project management.
- Demonstrated ability to apply strategic planning principles; ability to design and facilitate dynamic organizational change to meet the evolving needs of the campus.
- Analytical skills to make sound judgments and be accountable for decisions in a variety of complex circumstances and subjects.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively with diverse audiences and varied constituencies to solicit constructive input, develop consensus, and cultivate constructive collaborations among multiple campus departments and community groups.
- Ability to play a key role in university leadership, advocating for the unit and forging advantageous and strategic connections across the university.
- A proven record of success in setting priorities, allocating resources and achieving specific goals;
- Outstanding communication skills, including interpersonal, written, verbal, presentation and listening capabilities;
- Ability to function in a complex, high-demand environment, balancing and executing internal and external responsibilities;
- In-depth experience in enterprise system software, enrollment management systems, and data-driven analyses of enrollment information for decision-making.
- Preference will be given to candidates with enrollment management backgrounds and chief of staff experience.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of related professional experience in higher education or equivalent professional training and experience is ideal.
Required License(s) or Certification(s): N/A
Valid NC Driver’s License required: No
Commercial Driver’s License required: No
Recruitment Dates and Special Instructions
Job Open Date: 06/27/2022
Anticipated Close Date: Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Inquiries and nominations are invited and may be directed to Frank Barragan, recruitment services manager, NC State Executive Search Services, at (919) 791-7641 or email@example.com.
Confidential review of applications will begin in January 2023, and will continue until the position is filled. Candidates should provide a curriculum vitae and cover letter.
Position Number: 00060488
Position Type: SAAO Tier II
Full Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week)	12 month, recurring at will
Appointment: 12 Month Recurring
Mandatory Designation – Adverse Weather: Non Mandatory – Adverse Weather
Mandatory Designation – Emergency Events: Non Mandatory – Emergency Event
Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies? No
Department ID 321001 – EMAS-Enrollment Mgt & Services
If interested, please apply: https://jobs.ncsu.edu/postings/165653
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.