Administrative Dean of Administration
Apply Now: https://www.usajobs.gov/job/658998100
National Defense University (NDU) supports the joint warfighter by providing rigorous Joint Professional Military Education to members of the U.S. Armed Forces and select others in order to develop leaders who have the ability to operate and creatively think in an unpredictable and complex world.
This is a Title 10 Excepted Service Appointment. Appointment is not to exceed 3 years with the possibility for extension.
- Works in a collegial and energetic fashion to balance the enterprise-wide requirements of the entire University with internal requirements of their respective component in a resource constrained environment
- Serves as the principal consultant and advisor to the Component Head and VP-AD/COO on governance and management matters affecting the University/component educational and research programs and the academic enterprise.
- Chairs committees relating to academic support and administrative matters internal and external to their respective component and serves as the component?s principal representative at external academic support and administrative meetings.
- Provides supervision of a broad range of academic/administrative functions, including business processes, personnel, security, logistics, administrative services, fiscal affairs, resource management, facilities/building maintenance, and protocol.
- Responsible for all financial and budgetary matters in an administrative oversight capacity.
- Responsible for the formulation and staffing of annual joint manpower and personnel programs and how they integrate with the planned execution of the component budget.
- Incumbent participates in many facets of student affairs to include providing academic support and administrative support for student activities.
- Performs other duties and/or leads other projects as assigned; occasional travel may be required.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- If selected, you will be required to provide information regarding your COVID-19 vaccination status for the purposes of determining appropriate workplace safety protocols, such as those related to masking, testing, travel, and quarantine.
- Master’s degree is required.
- Demonstrated ability and successful record of leadership achievement, and success in supervising and managing complex programs and organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to lead collaboratively and work effectively with others in a diverse environment; ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with University personnel and representatives of various external agencies.
- Proven ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by analyzing problems, calculating risk, and applying knowledge.
- Superior knowledge and demonstrated ability to plan, organize, and direct the technical aspects of assigned program areas of responsibility.
- Possess both the experience and ability to manage human capital, financial, facility, and information resources strategically and operationally. Expert knowledge of budget matters to include experience: (1) developing and managing the equivalent of a component financial plan, (2) performing oversight of the management of program resources; formulate, prepare, and revise the annual operating budget estimate for an organization.
- Demonstrated ability to use judgment, initiative, and resourcefulness in order to resolve complex and/or intricate issues and problems to bring about strategic change, both within their respective component or across the University enterprise, to meet overall organizational goals.
- Demonstrated ability to lead institutional change in a resource constrained environment by developing innovative and creative solutions.
- Demonstrated experience at the department or headquarters level in designing and implementing streamlined business processes, program efficiencies, and cost savings initiatives.
- Demonstrated ability to act with discretion, maintain confidentiality, and professional demeanor at all times and operate with the highest standards of personal and professional conduct.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead or serve as a member of cross-functional or cross-component teams.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex concepts in a clear and concise manner, both written and orally.
- Experience working in the interagency, joint, multi-service, or multi-national military environment.
- Knowledge of public and/or private sector academic institutions’ organization, structure, and operations.
- Familiarity with the missions, organization, and operations of the Department of Defense.
- Experience managing at the highest levels within a large diverse academic environment.
- Joint Professional Military Education (JPME) experience.
Education Requirement: Master’s degree.
Official transcripts will be required at time of selection to verify educational requirements are met.
NDU has a comprehensive benefits package that includes retirement, social security, and thrift savings; health, life, and long term care insurance; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays. NDU employees enjoy flexible work schedules, transit subsidy, and the opportunity to telecommute.
Initial Probationary Period: You will be required to serve an initial probationary period of 18 months.
Supervisory Probationary Period: 18 month probationary period is required regardless if the incumbent previously served in a probationary period status in the Federal government or at NDU.
Background or Security Investigation: This is a Sensitive Compartmented Information position which requires a background investigation. The individual selected for this position is required to obtain and maintain a Top Secretsecurity determination to occupy a Sensitive Compartmented Information position within the agency as a condition of employment.
Reemployed Annuitants: Department of Defense has the authority to hire annuitants without reduction in pay. For more information, go to: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/1400.25-V300.pdf
If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
A screening panel will review your resume and narrative answers to the assessment questions to evaluate your qualifications for the position. NDU uses a multi-tier selection process for academic positions.
The following questions will be reviewed by the NDU screening panel https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11514165.
The Assessment Questionnaire collects information on your education, training and experience related to the following critical competencies:
- Customer Service (Clerical/Technical)
- Leading People
- Planning and Evaluating
- Program Management
You must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- Résumé: The latest resume submitted will be used to determine qualifications. All conferred degrees and certifications should be included in your resume for full consideration
- Complete Assessment Questionnaire
- Other Supporting Documents – Refer to the eligibilities section for documents to submit.
NOTE: Transcripts are not required at time of application submission. Your resume and narrative answers to the hiring criteria will be reviewed by the NDU screening panel to evaluate your qualifications for the position. If selected for an interview, official transcripts will be requested at that time to verify educational requirements are met.
Eligibilities Information: The following supporting documents are REQUIRED to verify your individual eligibility status. Not all will apply for each applicant. They MUST be received by the closing date of the announcement.
- SF-50 – (If applicable) Notification of Personnel Action for current or former federal employees- with the exception of current permanent NDU employees, please provide your most recent SF50 or the SF50 reflecting Career/Career-Conditional tenure and the highest grade held on a permanent basis.
- If you claim Veteran’s Preference:
– You must submit a copy of your DD Form-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”, showing the dates of active duty service, type of discharge and the character of service. Alternatively, If you are a current military member in active duty service and do not have a copy of your DD Form-214, you must submit a written documentation (certification) from your branch of service certifying that you are expected to be discharged or released from active duty under honorable conditions no later than 120 days after the date the certification is submitted with your application for this position. The certification should also include your rank, dates of active duty service and what they condition of discharge is thought to be.
– If claiming 10-point preference and/or are a 30% or more Disabled Veteran, you must submit both a DD Form-214 or expected discharge documentation as described above AND a copy of a letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) or your branch of service certifying the presence of service-connected disability and indicating the percentage of disability
– If you are claiming eligibility based on 10-point derived veterans’ preference (i.e. a spouse, widow/widower, or parent of a veteran claiming veterans’ preference when the veteran is unable to use it), you must also submit a Standard Form 15 (SF-15) “Application for 10-Point Veteran’s Preference” and any required documents indicated on the SF-15 to substantiate the claimed preference.
- Other documents identified in the announcement.
WARNING: Failure to submit a complete application package including any required documentation by the closing date of the announcement at 11:59 EST, or at the time of application for announcements with an extended closing date, may result in an ineligible rating and loss of consideration. To verify that your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, select Application Status and More Information. The Details page will display the status of your application.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to verify that information entered or uploaded is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
Apply Now: https://www.usajobs.gov/job/658998100