Professional Assistant Director, Young Alumni & Student Engagement
The Assistant Director (AD), Young Alumni & Student Engagement is responsible for managing engagement & fundraising strategies that broaden SJU’s annual engaged and donor base and support the University’s engagement & fundraising goals.
The AD will do this through direct management of a comprehensive engagement, solicitation and stewardship plan for young alumni and current students.
Young Alumni [defined as those alumni with bachelor’s degrees that graduated within the last ten years] make up the largest age group constituency for the University. Statistics show that if an alum makes a gift each year for the first five years after they graduate the likelihood of them continuing to make an annual gift is over 90%. Correspondingly, if an alum does not make any gift in the first five years after graduating, the likelihood of them making a gift drops to less than 25%. The key to securing gifts from young alumni is to engage them in the life of the University. The most effective programs do this through a combination of providing valued services such as career networking, lifelong learning opportunities, as well as the ability to socially network and get to know other young alumni.
Accordingly, the incumbent will be responsible for creating and executing a long-range plan, and related annual plans focused on driving the following metrics:
- Increase Young Alumni Engagement from 12% to 20% over the life of the campaign.
- Increase Young Alumni Participation from 7% to 15% over the life of the campaign.
- Furthermore, the incumbent is responsible for creating a student engagement and philanthropic initiative so that we can begin educating our young alumni more effectively when they are students. While there will be several key activities designed to drive our success, the key area of focus will be to increase the participation from the Sr Class from an average of 17% over the past five years to over 30% by the end of the Campaign.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Working closely with alumni relations, serve as primary contact and provide ongoing support of SJU Connects, which includes:
- Day-to-day support of the online platform
- Developing and executing the strategy to increase the number of students and alumni who actively participate in the service
- Developing and executing the strategy for Brazen, our new on-line platform for virtual networking activities
- Working with our third-party service providers to ensure new elements of the service are rolled out appropriately to the SJU community
- Developing and executing the strategy to integrate the service into our alumni relations programs and events (such as Career Conversations Week, regional events and Industry nights).
- Develop and implement solicitation and stewardship plans targeting students and young alumni, utilizing multi-channel (phone, digital, email, mail, etc) outreach.
- Learn/build upon knowledge of industry best practices to incorporate into strategy
- Analyze past results and other data to inform strategy
- Include specific plans for each unique segment
- Present concepts and messaging to internal staff and key stakeholders for their edits and approval at the beginning of each semester
- Collaborate with Advancement staff to ensure solicitations and other outreach fit into the larger communication schedule
- Monitor solicitation outcomes
- Student philanthropy (currently a senior only program)
- Provide full social media support for Alumni Relations marketing on social channels (e.g. facebook, linkedin, Instagram)
- Meet the stated metrics listed in the position summary above.
- Support other Alumni Relations and Annual Giving programs and initiatives that require team involvement
- Assist with the supervision of student workers as needed
- Participate in and support divisional special events and programs
Physical Requirements and/or Unusual Work Hours:
- Standing and moderate lifting may be required
- Evening/weekend hours required regularly (especially during academic year)
- Ability to sit for long periods at personal computer performing related functions
- Bachelor’s degree plus a minimum of one (1) year experience working in higher education, alumni relations, fundraising or related field
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Strong attention to detail and highest commitment to accuracy and quality of work
- Strong analytical skills
- Knowledge of engagement and fundraising process and ability to articulate “case for support”
- Computer literacy and strong skills in Microsoft software and programs
- Command of the English language and the ability to write, proofread and edit compelling fundraising appeals
- Ability to cultivate and maintain positive relationships with both external and internal constituents, including vendors
- Ability to exercise good judgment in handling of confidential information
- Independent initiative as well an ability to work collaboratively as part of a team
- Understanding of and ability to use social media properties strategically
- Experience managing students
- Project management experience
- Previous experience working within an alumni relations or annual fund program
- Experience working with Banner
- Experience working with iModules or a similar platform
- Strong desire to build a career in higher education
On-line applications only. Please provide a letter of application/interest and resume. For a complete description of position responsibilities, qualifications, and to apply, please visit: https://jobs.sju.edu/postings/18815.
Saint Joseph’s University is a private, Catholic, and Jesuit institution and expects members of its community to be knowledgeable about its mission and make positive contributions to that mission. Saint Joseph’s is an equal opportunity employer that seeks to recruit, develop and retain a talented and diverse workforce.