Administrative Residential Network Engineer
Business Affairs: Financial Management Services (FMS), Stanford, California, United States
Job Code: 4812
Employee Status: Regular
Requisition ID: 90215
The LAN Engineering (LAN-E) group is part of the IT Infrastructure department of Stanford University’s central University Information Technology organization. The LAN-E group works closely with SUNet Backbone & Network Security group to provide robust high-speed data networking services to the University campus. The LAN-E group provides LAN engineering and 2nd level technical support for schools and departments across the University, including the Graduate School of Business, the Stanford University Libraries, Residential & Dining Enterprises, the School of Medicine, and the Student Dormitories.
The ResNet Engineer is responsible for planning, implementation, and support of a large number of data networks in the Stanford University student residences. These networks include both wired and wireless networks. The ResNet team currently supports over 47,000 network ports and 8800 wireless access points. Network design ranges from “green-field” designs for new multi-building constructions to single residential units. Network support is provided through close working relationships with the SUNet Backbone group, the IT Operations Center, the Installation & Maintenance technicians, and the Peer Technology Specialists.
- Plan, design, maintain, and implement network access, security, and services.
- Manage network projects including developing and documenting technical network designs and project plans and procuring equipment and supplies.
- Monitor network for stability and proper configuration.
- Develop products internally in accordance with requirements of performance, suitability, maintainability, cost, interoperability, flexibility, and conformance to standards.
- Perform network planning and design, reconfigurations, and equipment installations and upgrades.
- Provide support to other consultants in area of technical expertise.
- Provide work leadership, escalation, and training to lower level network specialists.
- Identify chronic network problems and develop solutions/repairs.
- Evaluate new equipment and research new technologies.
- Maintain the security of the network infrastructure and recommend network improvements.
- Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Providing periodic training to other parts of the University on data networking topics (both technical and procedural)
- Staying current on new data networking technologies and vendor implementations
- Testing and implementing changes to LAN deployments to provide better performance to clients and greater efficiency to the institution
- Working with clients on solving connectivity issues.
- Participating in on-call after hours rotation for larger campus (i.e. beyond student residential networks)
Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s degree and five years of relevant experience, or a combination of education and relevant experience. Specific experience in network design, implementation, analysis, and project management.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
5 years experience designing, implementing, and managing data networks preferably in an academic environment. Familiarity with Cisco IOS required. Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot and fix software, hardware, and networking problems. Demonstrated ability to work calmly, professionally, with attention to detail. Demonstrated ability to adapt to and work well within a team environment. Demonstrated excellent time management, planning, and communication skills.
- Experience tuning and troubleshooting large scale 802.11 (Wi-Fi) networks required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with ability to communicate complex technical issues to non-technical users.
- Advanced communication skills and ability to influence, persuade, and negotiate.
- Advanced knowledge of and experience with multiple network protocols and technologies.
- Fine-tuned trouble shooting skills.
Certifications and Licenses:
Why Stanford is for You
Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more.
- Redwood City. Our new Stanford Redwood City campus, opened in 2019, will be the workplace for approximately 2,700 staff, including University IT, whose jobs are important to supporting the University’s mission. The campus will offer amenities such as onsite cafes and a dining pavilion, a high-end fitness facility with an outdoor pool, and a childcare center for Stanford families.
Relocation and sponsorship will not be provided for this position.
How to Apply:
We invite you to apply for this role by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button.
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.