Administrative Dean of the College of Design, Architecture, Art, and Planning
Consistently ranked as one of the most prestigious schools in America and the world, the College of Design, Architecture, Art, and Planning (DAAP) at the University of Cincinnati invites applications and nominations for the position of Dean.
DEAN OF THE COLLEGE OF DESIGN, ARCHITECTURE, ART, AND PLANNING
Reporting to the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost, the Dean is responsible for overseeing the education of undergraduate and graduate students within the College; promoting scholarly and creative excellence; monitoring and securing the College’s financial resources and budgets; enhancing revenue, especially by engaging in private fundraising; strategic and operational planning; program review and enhancement; compliance on a campus, university and governmental level; and all personnel matters, including management of promotion and tenure processes.
Responsible for implementing the policies and procedures developed by the Board of Trustees and administrative leadership of the campus and the University as a whole, the Dean will seek opportunities for collaboration with colleges, schools and other academic units throughout UC’s campuses.
- Conceptualize a vision of the College’s future that will motivate the faculty and inspire students; equally important is the ability to articulate this vision in terms of measurable goals and to enlist the support of essential constituencies;
- Provide leadership and guidance in fulfilling DAAP’s mission as a public, urban college;
- Strengthen existing programs and develop new ones to meet the needs of the community;
- Ensure superior academic programs are delivered by dedicated faculty;
- Attract and retain faculty of the highest caliber, providing long-term career incentives and an environment conducive to professional development;
- Build strong external relationships, enhancing those among the College, UC, Cincinnati’s dynamic and diverse community, and the International arena by engaging in activities designed to raise private support;
- Maintain and strengthen relationships and interdisciplinary collaboration across the campus;
- Take a lead role in pursuing private funding for the College, supported by the UC Foundation office—DAAP’s current endowment annual spendable income is $1.3 million;
- Foster a culture of accountability in which goals are specified, strategies articulated, and results against goals are reported—DAAP’s annual operating budget is approximately $20.7 million;
- Act as a visionary academic leader with a demonstrated ability to turn vision into reality and inspire faculty, students, and the community with ambitious but attainable objectives and will build a plan to lead DAAP toward those objectives. The Dean will have the personal qualities, energy, and ability to advocate for the resources necessary to realize his or her vision.
While it is expected that the Dean will possess a distinguished scholarly and/or creative academic record, the committee will also consider candidates whose leadership abilities and outstanding accomplishments could be translated into innovative leadership of the College. The Dean will demonstrate commitment to outstanding teaching, research (scholarly and creative), and service, with the personal qualities of integrity, compassion, collaboration, intellectual curiosity and honesty, fairness, decisiveness, fortitude, patience, and perseverance necessary to lead an academic institution of the highest caliber. Administrative experience is a must, and fundraising experience is highly desired. The Dean will demonstrate:
- A record as an accomplished scholar or noted contributor to the profession, possessing at minimum a Master’s degree and creative excellence satisfying the requirements for the rank of full professor with tenure in one of DAAP’s academic units;
- A clear vision of DAAP’s strengths and areas of opportunity and necessary steps for achieving established goals;
- Rigorous standards of professional achievement and ethical behavior;
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills;
- A record in promoting diversity and inclusiveness;
- An entrepreneurial orientation combined with boldness, imagination and abundant energy;
- Strong understanding of the challenges and issues facing higher education;
- A firm grasp of the opportunities and advantages of the University’s urban setting;
- Successful administrative and budgetary/financial experience; and
- A management style that is inclusive and decisive
COLLEGE OF DESIGN, ARCHITECTURE, ART, AND PLANNING
Offering a world-class education and real-world co-operative experience in all programs of design, architecture, art, and planning, the College is frequently ranked among the best in both the world and the nation. One of 15 distinct colleges at UC, DAAP houses four separate schools of focus, offering eleven graduate and ten undergraduate degrees along with certificate programs. To learn more about our unique College and its accolades visit http://daap.uc.edu.
ABOUT UC AND CINCINNATI
Today, the University of Cincinnati is classified as a Research University (Very High Research Activity) by the Carnegie Commission and is ranked as one of America’s top 35 public research universities by the National Science Foundation. UC jumped 17 spots in the U.S. News & World Report rankings in the past two years alone. In addition to being named a “green university” by Princeton Review, UC has been named one of the world’s most beautiful campuses by Forbes and Delta Sky magazines. Learn more about UC and our upcoming 200th year anniversary at www.uc.edu.
The City of Cincinnati was rated a Best Place to live by US News & World Report and provides both urban and suburban life as well as river views and rolling hills. Our city offers a wealth of amenities that include professional sports, world-class entertainment, a vibrant arts scene, gorgeous parks and nature trails, acclaimed museums, a celebrated zoo, a variety of restaurants and a flourishing riverfront scene. We actually offer the features of two cities when you include the thriving area of northern Kentucky just across the river. Affordable and family-friendly with excellent public and private schools it is no wonder multiple Fortune 500 companies call Cincinnati home. Visit www.cincinnatiusa.com to learn more.
Interested applicants are requested to submit a cover letter addressing qualifications and a current curriculum vitae to http://bit.ly/DAAPWIA. Nominations, only, may be sent confidentially to ExecutiveSearch@uc.edu. Applications will be accepted and the position will remain open until filled.
The University of Cincinnati, as a multi-national and culturally diverse university, is committed to providing an inclusive, equitable and diverse place of learning and employment. As part of a complete job application, you will be asked to provide a Contribution to Diversity and Inclusion statement.
The University of Cincinnati is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer / M / F / Veteran / Disabled.