Faculty Clinical Pathology Lecturer (full-time)
University of Pennsylvania: School of Veterinary Medicine: Pathobiology
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
Jul 25, 2019
The University of Pennsylvania College of Veterinary Medicine welcomes applications for a full time, 12-month position in Veterinary Clinical Pathology at the rank of Lecturer. The intended start date of the position is late summer/early fall 2019, but there is flexibility in the start date. Renewal is determined yearly, for up to 3 years. The eventual goal is to create a clinical faculty position.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interpret cytology and hematology specimens with timely preparation of pathology reports.
- Active involvement in the diagnostic work-up of cases from a clinical pathology perspective.
- Assist in training and teaching of both veterinary students and residents.
- Provide training and technical guidance to laboratory personnel in proper specimen processing and assessment techniques.
- Participate in quality assurance and quality control programs.
- Assist with development of laboratory methods and procedures.
- Promote departmental comradery and develop diagnostic skills through regular participation in hospital and departmental rounds and continuing education.
The University of Pennsylvania Ryan Veterinary Hospital is one of the nation’s busiest veterinary teaching hospitals with close to 33,000 small animal and exotic animal patient visits each year. The clinical pathology laboratory and cytology service support a busy internal and external caseload, comprised of cases from the small and large animal hospitals, exotic animal patients, local practices, zoo animals, and research cases. We benefit from the close interaction with the anatomic pathology service where challenging cases are reviewed collectively. The varied and busy caseload provides a great opportunity to hone one’s diagnostic skill set. The successful candidate would join two other enthusiastic, supportive clinical pathologists and a fun, highly-skilled group of clinical pathology laboratory technicians, all a part of a larger, collaborative and cohesive diagnostic service with microbiology, parasitology, and anatomic pathology.
- DVM/VMD or equivalent degree
- Specialist qualification in veterinary clinical pathology ACVP or ECVP
- Applicants with imminent prospects of board certification will also be considered (e.g. candidates sitting boards this year)
- Evidence of excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Commitment to providing a quality product to submitting veterinarians and patients
- A collaborative mindset to foster a team-approach to teaching and service
Apply to: https://apply.interfolio.com/64641
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The University of Pennsylvania values diversity and seeks talented students, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds. The University of Pennsylvania is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected class. Questions or concerns about this should be directed to the Executive Director of the Office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Programs, University of Pennsylvania, 421 Franklin Building, 3451 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6205; or (215) 898-6993 (Voice) or (215) 898-7803 (TDD).