Administrative Dean of Library Services
National Search for the Dean of Library Services, Hunter Library
Western Carolina University, Cullowhee, NC
Western Carolina University invites applications from qualified, visionary, exemplary leaders to serve as the next Dean of Library Services.
Established in 1889, WCU is a constituent member of the University of North Carolina and enrolls more than 12,000 students through its bachelors, masters, and doctoral programs in residential, distance, online, and international programs. The primary campus is located on over 650 acres in Cullowhee in the Nantahala National Forest within 20 minutes’ drive to the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
The mission of Hunter Library is to serve the curricular and research needs of students, faculty, and staff while encouraging academic success, fostering critical thinking, and enriching the community. It fulfills this mission by providing access to information; offering research and instruction services; and preserving the intellectual, environmental, and cultural heritage of the university and the region. The Library is a model for student engagement and support.
Additional information about Hunter Library is available at this link.
The Dean is the chief administrative and academic officer of Hunter Library, a unit within the division of Academic Affairs, and a direct report to the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. The dean provides strategic, financial, and managerial leadership in executing the functions of the position. The Dean works collaboratively and collegially with faculty and with academic leadership, including other deans, to advance the mission and function of Hunter Library.
- Earned M.L.S. or equivalent terminal degree from an A.L.A.- accredited program with a record of professional and scholarly experience to qualify for tenure at the rank of professor
- History of key leadership positions and a working knowledge of the core functions of academic libraries
- Experience as a strong advocate of a university library as the core of the academic enterprise and student success
- Experience with complex budgeting and financial management
- Evidence of commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Commitment to an active employee development program, including support of tenured and tenure-track faculty and staff
- Experience with shared governance, building consensus, engaging in transparent decision-making, fostering a collegial working environment, and working effectively with a variety of constituencies, internal and external to the library
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, including a clear and open communication style.
- Strong record of success in developing and implementing flexible approaches or innovations amid changes in scholarly communication
- Experience with the operations and goals of a regional comprehensive university and an academic library
- Experience with tenure processes, especially mentoring faculty
- Experience pursuing external funding through grants and/or private fundraising
- Understanding of information technology as it relates to library services and instructional support.
Western Carolina University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; religion; sex; sexual orientation; gender identity or expression; national origin; age; disability; genetic information; political affiliation; National Guard or veteran status, consistent with applicable federal, state and local laws, regulations, and policies, and the policies of The University of North Carolina. Additionally, the University promotes the realization of equal employment opportunity for minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and veterans through its affirmative action program.
Western Carolina University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award baccalaureate, masters, and doctorate degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404.679.4500 for questions about the accreditation of Western Carolina University.
Applicants must apply and submit all application materials through WCU’s jobs application site.
Persons with disabilities requiring accommodations in the application and interview process please call (828) 227-7218 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.